PDA.C 02 MSC - Module Standard Coating
For examining the coating color and base paper interactions
A method for coating color optimization with the emtec PDA.C 02 - developed by G. Gruener and Dr. M. Baumeister
- Characterization of the coating base paper surface
- Defined coating color preparation
- Simulation of the coating machine applicators at the time the coating color and the base paper are contacted :
- Simulating the shearing history of the coating color in the coater
- Dynamically contacting the coating color with the base paper
- Producing a high shear impulse and pressure pulse
- Characterization of the coated paper
- Instantaneous measurement within approx. 39 msec after the contact
- Simple evaluation of the measuring results
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE MEASURING METHOD?
- Differences in base papers, coating colors and coated papers lead to quality changes during processing; unfortunately, the classical measuring methods do not adequately detect these variations.
The PDA.C 02 system is able to identify these differences.
- Pilot coater and machine trials indicate the effects of coating color and base paper variations.
The PDA.C 02 provides a tool to explore the origins in the lab.
THE PDA.C 02 CAN MEASURE ALL THREE STAGES OF THE COATING PROCESS :
1. Base paper
- Assessing process relevant surface quality parameters
such as surface porosity, surface sizing and fines/filler concentration at the surface
- R & D: Optimizing the base paper, developing new grades, ensuring quality consistency of several rolls in coating trials
- QC: Detecting slight quality variations during production
2. Coating color in contact with base paper
- Reducing the need for pilot coater / machine trials
- R & D: Visualizing the interactions between the coating and substrate surface, gaining new insights, optimizing the additive and pigment use (types and dosages)
- QC: Controlling the incoming quality of additives and pigments
- Assessing the changes in runnability, coating hold out, covering and print evenness in offset and flexo printing
3. Coated paper
- Assessing the surface quality of coated papers :
- Identifying small changes in the coating quality by comparing measurement results of liquid penetration with suitable test liquids (water, water + Isopropylalcohol mixture, acetic acid)
- Determining and predicting the properties such as printability, glueability or barrier effects on the basis of a database or process analysis